Thursday, January 04, 2007

Living History

The past two days I have been honored to share with my two boys a piece of our history. On Tuesday, we watched together as Air Force One landed at Ford International Airport. Then we continued on to 28th Street where we watched the motorcade go from the Airport to Downtown Grand Rapids. What an incredible moment. So many people and it was silent as the hearse past. I have no doubt that 28th Street will never again be that quiet at 4:00 in the afternoon!

Tuesday evening, Eric, Justin and I headed downtown to attempt to wait in line and view President Ford's casket. Upon arrival we saw the most amazing site. People every where! Organized - but everywhere. We parked the car and walked around a little bit while chatting with others - we were told the wait was at least 6 hours. So needless to say we didn't stay. We did take Justin around the city and up on US 131 so that he could see the museum. We wanted him to know that what he was seeing on TV was really happening right here in "his" town.

Yesterday, after picking up Justin from school we went to watch the ceremonies near the church. My brother Rob lives a block from the church and his wife Mary, her dad, and friend Jean were able to get a wonderful spot to watch the events unfold. They were gracious enough to let my mom, myself and my boys join them. It was unbelievable to be so close and to be a part of such an amazing event. For me the part that I will remember the most of the whole two days was listening to the Military band play "Hail to the Chief". I have heard it many times but never in person and it was breathtaking.

Then we were off to meet Eric and head back downtown to watch the flyover of the 21 F-15 Fighter Jets. We were able to get a spot along the River near Leonard Street. We had to wait quite a while - but the boys did great and it was worth it. The jets flew over right at sunset and the sun reflected off of them as they flew by. It was amazing to watch.

The last two days have been full and amazing. It was such an honor to be a part of history. I don't know how much the boys will remember but I do know that we will talk about this weeks events forever. Below are some of the pictures I took I hope you enjoy them. I know that I will cherish them forever.

No comments: